Precautionary measures for secure online shopping
E-commerce, online shopping is first preference of an individual for shopping. No doubt, it’s a simple way to explore multiple things at same time with lowest prices. But the question arises that the facility is secure since user have to feed its confidential data to shop online? It is necessary to ensure that the site is secure and certified.
How to ensure that website is secure
- There should be a padlock in the address bar before the website address.
- Website address should start with https://. The S stands for secure.
- On certain browsers and websites the address bar is green.
- Valid certificate:
- Click the padlock symbol or just to the left of the address bar,
- Information regarding certificate and security can be seen.
- If you get a warning about a certificate, avoid the website.
- Know your rights and the company’s policies.
- Keep software and virus protection up-to-date.
- Use strong passwords for online accounts. Wherever possible use two factor authentications, i.e., password and OTP.
- Don’t save the credit/debit card details on the websites.
- Don’t use gift cards for payment.
- Don’t save the e-wallet details on the websites.
- Don’t use public Wi-Fi or unsecured network for online shopping.
- Don’t let other to shop from your account.
Unexpected discount is always tempting but user has to be conscious about the actual discount offered by the merchant and the lollypop offered by the cyber criminals to steal your hard earned money. When notification regarding the discount is received via mail or text, the following things one should keep in mind before proceeding for the online shopping.
- Cyber criminals send tempting image and link regarding the discount and user easily click on the image/link which results into the downloading of the malware in the device.
- Malware in your device do malicious activities as per the cyber criminal’s requirements.
- Don’t click any unauthorized link or image.
- To shield from malware activities refer the following link